Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchilada Bake

 Winter calls for comfort food but comfort food doesn't have to be loaded with fat and goo just food that brings you comfort when the winter wind howls.

I've been making this dish in various ways for years, but this time I think I hit the nail on the head.

I call it an enchilada bake because I use to smother it with enchilada sauce but this time I sprinkled a little cheese and wow, you could really taste the flavors.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchilada Bake

Recipe - Serves 2

Preheat Oven to 375

1 cup Smash Black Beans 

1 large sweet potato

2 tablespoons honey

1 1/2 tablespoons cumin (to taste)

1/2 cup Monterery Jack Cheese

1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese

6 - 6" round flour tortillas

salt and pepper to taste

I had made a big pot of Rancho Gordo Vaquero Beans over the weekend, recipe coming soon. I took a cup of the beans, smashed them with a spoon and heated up. If you don't have a pot of beans standing by you can use can black beans, seasoned for your taste. You can add cumin, hot pepper, or I like to use Dried Epazote Leaves and Stem from The Spice House. You can add a little salt, but shouldn't need much.

Boil one large sweet potato, once soft remove skin, add honey (use local if you can) and cumin to taste, and smash potato, little chunks are okay. Once I've smashed the potato I will sprinkle with a little salt & pepper, not much, so a pinch of each will do.

I don't buy pre-shredded cheese but like to buy blocks of cheese and shred as I need but you can use a blend or any cheese you have on had.

Building your tortilla is easy, with a large soon spread some beans down, spread sweet potato on top, sprinkle with cheese, repeat for another layer, top with third tortilla and sprinkle with just a little cheese.

Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

I served this meal with fresh guacamole but you can also serve with salsa.

I hope you enjoy this quick and easy dinner!

Until Next Time

Forks Up



 

 



Comments

Popular Posts