Soup Time..Yes in the Summer

Normally you don't think of soup when you think about summer time cooking
but for me it's always soup time. How nice is it to come home from work and just heat up the soup you made the day before...or even the day before the day before. 

One of my go to soups is something I call "Ravioli Soup"..
it's easy and tasty ... did I mention easy?


I use ground beef and spicy Italian sausage, emptied from the casing.
Large can tomato sauce
Large can chopped/diced tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 large bag frozen ravioli (I use cheese)
2 to3 cups of Swanson Chicken Broth (this depends on how soupy you want it)
2 cups half and half (use can use whole milk but it won't be as rich)
Oregano - 1 to 2 tablespoons to taste
handful of fresh basil 
***note***
 I bring all the ingredients to room temperature before I start cooking

Brown both the meats, but don't over stuff your pot because you won't be able to brown the meat it will steam it and that makes it tough.
This is the pot I use..love my LeCreuset

Remove meat from pot, add onion and saute, you can add some olive oil if you need to just to so the onion doesn't stick, sprinkle sea salt or kosher salt over the onion as it starts to cook. By salting the onion it allows it to sweat and brings out the sweetness of the onion. 
Once the onion is nice and soft add the browned meats back to the pot, add tomato sauce, and drained diced tomatoes, chicken broth and oregano. Salt to taste, I don't add much salt as the sausage adds a zing and the broth has some sodium in it. 
Once the pot comes to a boil, turn heat down and add ravioli, bring again to a boil.
Turn heat down and add half & half ... be careful not to bring to a rapid boil on this step,
it's better to bring to a slow boil.

Time to chop the basil  

I roll the leaves together and then dice


and toss on top 
stir it in 
reduce heat to a simmer
for 30 to 45 minutes
Serve


Outside dining at it's best!

Until Next Time
Forks Up


KA

Comments

  1. soup sounds good any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...you can make these one nice and lean with ground turkey.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts